Introducing the CircuitSetup Expandable 6 Channel Energy Meter – the ultimate tool for monitoring and analyzing energy consumption in your home or workspace. This cutting-edge meter provides you with accurate and detailed measurements, helping you make informed decisions about energy usage and efficiency. Whether you’re a homeowner, a facility manager, or an energy-conscious individual, the CircuitSetup.us 6 Channel Energy Meter is your key to understanding and optimizing energy consumption.
Up to 6, 6 channel add-on boards can stack on top of the main board to allow you to monitor up to 42 current channels in 16-bit resolution, in real time, all at once! Each add-on board can measure an additional voltage channel.
With ESPHome loaded on the ESP32, the 6 Channel Energy Meter can easily output energy data to the new Home Assistant Energy Dashboard. Individual circuits, solar, as well as whole house energy can be imported into Home Assistant.
See this order page to save 5% on bundled items.
See the latest hardware and software documentation in the Github repository.
- Expandable: The CircuitSetup 6 Channel Energy Meter is designed to adapt to your specific needs. It supports up to 6 additional add-on boards, for a total of 42 circuit monitoring channels, enabling you to monitor even more circuits and customize your monitoring system to match your requirements.
- 6 Channel Monitoring: This energy meter allows you to simultaneously monitor up to 6 electrical circuits, giving you a comprehensive view of energy usage throughout your space. Keep track of individual appliances, rooms, or even different areas within a building.
- Accurate Measurements: Built with high-precision energy metering electronics, this meter provides reliable and precise measurements of energy consumption. Trust in its accuracy to track and compare energy usage over time.
- Real-time Data: The energy meter provides real-time measurements, allowing you to instantly see power consumption, voltage, current, and other crucial data for each channel. Stay informed about energy usage fluctuations and identify any anomalies or inefficiencies.
- Versatile Application: Whether you’re a homeowner, facility manager, or energy-conscious individual, the 6 Channel Energy Meter provides the versatility to suit your specific needs. Expand your monitoring capabilities in residential, commercial, or industrial settings.
- Optimized Energy Efficiency: By gaining insights into your energy consumption patterns, you can identify opportunities to reduce waste and optimize energy usage. Make informed decisions about adjusting usage habits, upgrading appliances, or implementing energy-saving measures.
- Uses 2 Microchip ATM90E32AS energy meterings chips:
- 3 current channels (CT1-CT3 & CT4-CT6) & 1 voltage per IC
- Measurement Error: 0.1%
- Dynamic Range: 6000:1
- Current Gain Selection: Up to 4x
- Voltage Reference Drift Typical (ppm/°C): 6
- ADC Resolution (bits): 16
- For each current channel the following can also be calculated by the meter:
- Active Power
- Reactive Power
- Apparent Power
- Power Factor
- Uses standard current transformer clamps to sample current
- 22ohm burden resistors per current channel
- 2 IRQ interrupts, and 1 Warning outputs
- Zero crossing outputs for each current channel
- Energy Pulse outputs per IC (4 per IC x2)
- Active Power LED pulse for CT1-CT3 & CT4-CT6
- SPI Interface
What you’ll need:
- Current Transformers (depending on your application)
- SCT-006 20A/25mA micro CT (6mm opening – 3.5mm connectors) – these are great if you have a lot of 15A circuits that you want to monitor
- SCT-010 80A/26.6mA mini CT (10mm opening – 3.5mm connectors)
- SCT-013-000 100A/50mA (13mm opening – 3.5mm connectors)
- SCT-016 120A/40mA (16mm opening – 3.5mm connectors) – for monitoring mains
- Others can also be used as long as they’re rated for the amount of power that you are wanting to measure, and have a current output no more than 720mV.
- AC Transformer: Jameco Reliapro 9v or 12v. The positive pin must be 2.5mm (some are 2.1)
- ESP32 (choose one):
- Espressif ESP32-DevKitC
- Espressif ESP32-DevKitC-32U or ESP32-DevKitC-VB (WROVER) if you need better wifi reception (don’t forget the antenna)
- Anything else with the same pinouts as the above, which are usually 19 pins per side with 3v3 in the upper left & CLK in the lower right
- A 3d printed case (optional)
- Software (choose one):
- Our custom version of EmonESP and the ATM90E32 Arduino library
- ESPHome. Details on integration with Home Assistant are located here, and here.
- Libraries for CircuitPython & MicroPython
Samuel Reyna (verified owner) –
I purchased one of these to test out and see if I could get it working. It didn’t take me long to get it all figured out. This board is amazing and does exactly what is says that it will do. Amazing. I will be purchasing 6 more boards. It is not cheap, but it is the best solution if you want to monitor all your circuits. I’m getting continuous data readings sent to my PC, all the time. I can select any day that I want and look at the data for that day. I have found several devices in my house that are “off”, but consuming .5 amps of power at all times. Completely amazing board!
Paul (verified owner) –
Great product and even better service.
Couldn’t be happier with it.
Larry Neville (verified owner) –
I purchased this board a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to monitor my energy usage. I want to know both the quantity of energy and the time of day that I am using it in preparation for possibly converting some of my energy needs over to solar. It is an exceptional tool for showing my energy usage over time. I have had a few surprises on appliances and equipment that I thought would be big energy users, but are not actually turned on as much as I had expected. After a little reading and study, I found the instructions to connect it into Home Assistant running on Raspberry Pi to be straight forward and fairly easy to implement even though I new to both of these products. I used ESPHome to connect to Home Assistant and am now recording my energy usage. I have just purchased an expansion board and more CT’s to be able record and monitor 12 channels, instead of going into my panel and moving around CT’s. Thanks for a great product!
David Beck (verified owner) –
Love the board, found the ESPHome installation good, however the box shipped to me does not fit this board. Guessing the got a bad batch. Hopefully someday I will get a replacement. Probably been needing a two level box by then.
Have trouble getting a needed current transformer (200Amp), must have had a run on them. trying to get some help with a possible substitute. Not much luck yet getting a response (few days). Must be overwhelmed with too much business with the new HA Energy release…